As of now custom faces are heavily limited, you cannot select which race's head model to use as the base for your custom face and due to apparently .rvmat issues the custom faces will always end up bleached and trasparent as displayed in this post http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149420-Custom-Face&p=2345576&viewfull=1#post2345576
I wish that arma 3 will finally expand on the custom faces feature by:
- Adding the choice of the base model (as of now only the default white heads are supported)
- Increasing the default custom face size limit for servers (Because computers have way more ram and faster connections nowadays, obviously server admins can choose to limit or remove the custom faces)
- Fixing the rvmat for sharp and crisp custom face textures or giving players proper templates and access to modify the rvmats and normal maps of their custom faces.
- Separating the custom face and the body texture so that players online will only have to download another players face texture instead of the whole body. Make body textures governed by the template race selection (suggestion 1). This will also help to make more quality face textures without hitting the size limit instantly because of the big body texture that has to be included.
- Give players access to a quality face template for each race so that everyone can get an easy start on making custom faces.
If these light fixes and supplements are implemented the possibilites are endless.
You can for example,
Have your unit sport your own face ingame.
Have your unit sport someone else's face ingame.
Have your unit sport a robot face ingame.
Color your head white and draw a dick on it in MSpaint.
Recreate any kind of possible face camo for your use.
Saying this again, custom faces and sounds are already at the discretion of the server admins and should remain so, but please give players a chance to design their own custom faces in quality.