When FreeTrack (or an application that implements the FreeTrack protocol) is active, Arma3 crashes on the first startup. On subsequent starts, however, the game does not crash an loads normally.
- Legacy ID
- Game Crash
- Enable FreeTrack or an application that uses the FreeTrackClient.dll (such as FaceTrackNoIR 1.6 or lower).
- Start Arma3. The game will crash.
- Start Arma3 again. The game will load.
The problem is related to the FTReportName function in the FreeTrackClient.dll
Note that the new version of FaceTrackNoIR (1.7 beta) comes with a new, recompiled FreeTrackClient.dll (they call it FreeTrack 2.0) which supposedly fixes this problem.
Okay, I've spoken to Astaroth and Dwarden about this and they maintain that the issue is with the broken FreeTrack DLL. Apparently the FT developers couldn't be reached about this back when it affected Arma2, which is why the issue of FreeTrack support in Arma3 is currently sketchy.
However, there are two positive points:
- There exists a recompiled FreeTrackClient.dll which supposedly fixes the issue (see "Additional Information"). You just need to find this DLL and overwrite the old one.
- Astaroth says he plans to talk to the other devs about this on Monday, so maybe they'll see what they can do about it. No guarantees though, so don't take this as a promise of a swift resolution, or any at all.
I was unable to reproduce the crash with FaceTrackNoIR 1.7 beta but I might try later with different hardware.
Anyway, could you provide exact steps to reproduce the problem (what tracking app you have used, what version, when did Arma 3 crash, what was on screen, ...)? Could you also provide crash dumps?
FaceTrackNoIR 1.7 is actually the version that comes with the custom DLL mentioned above, so it doesn't cause the crash. It will only be reproducable with FaceTrackNoIR versions 1.6 and below. I will amend the repro steps accordingly.
Last Arma 3 update didnt fix the problem. Im not able to start the game with freetrack installed.
"3. Start Arma3 again. The game will load."... wont work for me.
But i will install that FaceTrackNoIR 1.7 now
FaceTrackNoIR v170 is working perfect!! I just needed to adjust some of the settings but it is the perfect freetrack alternativ... im loving it.
The new FreeTrackClient.dll didn't work,It makes the "output-Main-FreeTrack interface" grey,and the TrackIR interface(with TIRViews.dll) didn't work in ArmA3 with enabled TrackIR either.
I had a crash once involved with facetrack noir 1.7 where Arma3 would continually CTD if it wasn't running until I started the game with it running and disabled all the associated controllers (including the emulated joysticks). The game would start normally after that.
Possibly related to others problems?