You can't use binoculars or other optics (i.e. NVG) handheld when standing in a military lookout tower or if your character is right up on a wall. I'm assuming this is an animation glitch keeping this from happening based on available space for the character to move their arms.
- Operating System
- Windows 10 x64
- Operating System Version
- Build 18363
Method 1 - watchtower:
- Climb up a military watchtower Note: Sometimes if you're on the edge right after climbing up it will work so take a step into the tower (as one might to get a better view or get loot)
- Pull out some NVGs (handheld) or Binoculars.
- Try to use them.
- you can't until you take a step back so you're essentially on the very edge of the ladder
-This makes the use of towers very frustrating as you can no longer _easily_ use binoculars or handheld NVGs.
- I suspect this would also impact hunting stands but there's more room on those so it may not be as cramped and as big a deal (again assume it has to do with proximity to the walls of the structure).
- Not tested with any other rifle scopes handheld.
Method 2 - wall:
- Stand right next to a wall (as in move the character until they can move no closer to the wall).
- Try to use binocular/NVGs
- you can't Note: While facing the wall it almost makes sense that you can't but if you look in any direction away from the wall (left, right, or in between) and you can't use either ocular. The easiest way to do this is to backup into the wall.
We have been testing the issue on the current version but were unable to produce it. Can you please provide examples of buildings/objects where you experience the issue? (Possibly with videos?)
I can try to take a video but I'm not setup for video capture. Can you recommend software for this?
That said I can still reproduce. I just ran into this again today and pretty much every day since 1.09 on the official server I play on (DayZ US 3664224 HC (Public)).
I will note that it is harder to reproduce on a wall or tree but it does happen. HOWEVER, I recommend using a military watchtower as it's the easiest way.
That said the best way is to climb to the top of literally ANY military watchtower on the map in Cheranrus and take a step into the tower after you're at the top. You need to do this as the very top of the ladder often has enough clearance and you can still use the binoculars. Once you do this you cannot use the binoculars. I definitely reproduced it on every single watchtower that's around NWAF.
I can also repro this along any similar structure (hunting stand if I stand next to the wall looking out) and wall/tree as noted but the wall/tree are harder to repro.
Geez, I can confirm that this has been fixed in 1.10. Were you testing on 1.10/production when you reported that you could not reproduce the bug? I suspect that, as is the case in my own development environment/group/team, another developer found this bug and fixed it (knowingly or otherwise).