When contracting an infection, the player is unable to cure the infection with any medicines available in the game.
- Operating System
- Windows 7
- Operating System Version
- Obtain 3 each of Tetracycline, charcoal tabs, codeine, Morphine injector, IV-Saline Bags, and Chlorine tablets.
- Obtain 2-3 canteens, water bottles or any combination of the two.
- Purify all water containers.
- Drink from either a stream or pond.
- Infection/disease should show in approx 2 minutes.
- Take 1 each of Tetracycline, Charcoal Tab, and Codeine.
- When the first drug cycle ends, infection/disease is still fully active in the player.
- Take 5 each of Tetracycline, Charcoal Tab, and Codeine.
- When the second drug cycle ends, infection/disease is still fully active in the player.
- Take 6 each of Tetracycline, Charcoal Tab, and Codeine.
- When Third drug cycle ends, infection/disease is still fully active in the player and this concludes the entire first pack of each drug.
- When the player reaches "red" hydration, use IV-Saline Bag. Will have no effect at all on the players' hydration.
- Take 12 each of Tetracycline, Charcoal Tab, and Codeine. Inject 1 Morphine.
- When Fourth drug cycle ends, infection/disease is still active in the player.
Repeat cycles as long as you have drugs, infection/disease does not seem to go away. I went through all the medications listed in step 1.
If the player stays near a well during this test and has plenty of food, they can alternate eat and drink little bits at a time to stay alive through the process, but the infection/disease will not go away. This always ends in death, it's not stoppable. The infection/disease being contracted through drinking water is far too virulent and needs to be toned down a lot. With the infection/disease in its current state, this becomes nothing more than a game to find medicine and don't get sick. On any type of Hardcore server, this is an immediate death sentence as resources are scarce, to begin with, and since this infection/disease can be caught from wells also, it makes the game almost pointless to play.
During our testing we have found out, that while the disease may be cured, the disease icon still persists on the character until relog. Could this be the cause of the issue you are experiencing? Does the illness manifest in any other way besides the icon appearing once the fourth cycle ends? And does logging off and back on remove the icon?
The negative hydration effects and ability to only drink and eat in small amounts persisted through the entire test. Unfortunately, while I was at half health and my hydration and nutrition bars were at yellow level yesterday, the server restarted. I thought, no big deal, I'll break for food and come back in a little while. When I logged back in, I was freshie on the shore again. I'm working on building some supplies today and I'll retry the experiment and once I see the effects appear to have dissipated, I'll try logging if the icon is still there. Also, note I stated the IV-Saline has no effect at all on hydration when used. You get no temporary bonus to hydration at all.
Attempted to log in to US Experimental servers, both give "Bad Version" error. Validated file integrity and relogged Steam completely, no change at this time. Will check back this afternoon after I've run errands.
Okay, so test cycle 3 completed. I'm going to link some screens below.
This test was done with 3 complete sets of Tetracycline, Charcoal, Codeine, Morphine, and Saline Bags.
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847090911 (2 sets in Backpack, 1 in the jacket).
Right before logging out, you can see the hydration is still at -2 crouching still and disease icon still present. https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1847091130 .
Again it took about 2 minutes from the time I drank from the creek for infection to manifest.
I proceeded with the same previous regimen of drug treatment. Crouching still in the Vybor Medical Clinic, my hydration stayed at -2 for the entire event; However, there are a couple of notable exceptions this time which I don't think I caught previously.
- When IV-Saline is administered immediately after the drug doses, it can make the "pill" icon disappear. Don't know if it countered the treatment or not, but the saline itself had no effect on hydration at all.
- The effects of Cholera were persistent throughout, and a simple trot from one end to the other in the medical clinic would result in -3 hydration.
I reached the end of my drugs and the effects were still in place. I then figured it was a good time to try the logging. Logged out, waited a minute, logged back in, the disease is gone, "pill" icon still there. Used IV-Saline to rapid hydrate, "Pill" disappeared and no hydration effect from Saline application.
So it looks like logging will reset it, but as long a player stays in fighting it the disease effects will persist, which will eventually cause death and the player has no way of knowing when they should relog.
I'd like to recommend BI look at a mod called Medical Attention, https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1735691552&searchtext=medical , which has working IV-Saline but also a very important Blood Test Kit feature. Their blood test kit will give a complete analysis of a players blood each time a kit is used. It will show infection level by type, immunity level of the player at the time along with the usual blood type. Something like this would be good to implement in the core game as the various infections become more game relevant and the dangers of not being able to identify what you have literally will lead to death.
The mod Medical Attention actually has working Saline. Single Saline bag can take you from starting red hydration to full, and that's what saline is actually supposed to do in real life.