In single player as a squad leader I have to stop often to let my AI group catch up. When I turn around I see them combat-pacing (?) with raised rifle (aiming down the sights), a most inefficient way to cover long distances.
- Legacy ID
- AI Pathfinding / Motion
- Run around with a squad
- I believe the behavior happens sooner after being in a fire fight with enemy
- Notice how some soldiers get stuck in slow, for them tiring, combat pacing with aiming down the sights
- Try to cover a kilometer
- You have to wait often for them and you're annoyed
Suggestion: could the change behavior command 'AWARE' be adapted to include forcing the AI to lower their weapons (not completely lower, but away from aiming down the sights)?
- The fatigue system is fine, I don't mind jogging around the map with lowered weapon and stopping regularly. Even behaving like this, my team mates fall behind a long distance, could be easily 100 meters. They are equipped with a comparable load as me.
- Your squad members giving the 'clear' signal doesn't change their behavior.
- Me changing their combat behavior through commands doesn't change their behavior of aiming down the sights.
This is not my experience, AI definitely seek more cover in Combat mode en they scan better for enemies, for instance behind them. They will also move with me (as their leader), even if it's a bit on the slow side.
But this ticket is not about that, it is about longer range covering of ground, say 500m for instance. The ai will get a bit stuck in aiming down the sights while moving which is not appropriate in that situation.
I just discovered that the problem has something to do with moving in formation. As long as they're in formation, they run with rifle low, with the occasional peeking through the scope, very good. When they are behind, they get a bit confused and start raising rifle a lot or constantly, then they get tired and slow and get even more behind which results in very slow progress.