After being on a multiplayer server for a little while, Arma begins to drop the frame rate to be less than one frame per second and if I cannot immediately leave the server by fighting the low frames to navigate the pause menu and leave it will crash shortly afterward to a black screen that won't allow me to alt-tab or move another program window to the front often forcing me to blindly run the command prompt and type "taskkill /im arma3.exe /f".
- Operating System
- Windows 10 x64
- Operating System Version
- Game Freezes
Just get on a multiplayer server and do what you'd normally do for a while. It has occurred on multiple servers, modded and unmodded.
I've noticed that when the low framerate strikes, the game will change my LOD and object view distance from really low to normal each frame.
GPU, CPU, physical memory, and disk show no unusual behavior or signs of strain during these events.
Visual settings are set to ultra without any tampering.
CPU: Intel i5-4670K
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080
Physical Memory: 16GB
We are having the same thing happening on our server and it is affecting an entire mission. It does not happen to all players at the same time and when the server has the problem it sometimes only effects the player who is in the admin/Zeus role and not the rest of the server. This all started AFTER the 1.66 update.
- Are you able to reproduce this issue in single player?
- Are you able to reproduce this issue in an official multiplayer game mode such as End Game or Zeus? Use the server browser to filter for official game modes.
Try the below possible solutions one-by-one:
- Try restarting your computer and then verifying the integrity of the game cache for Arma 3.
- Restart your computer and launch Steam
- From the Library section, right-click on the game and select Properties from the menu.
- Select the Local files tab and click the Verify integrity of game cache... button.
- Steam will verify the game's files - this process may take several minutes.
- If you are using custom launch parameters then try resetting them to their default state via the Arma 3 Launcher. Also check under Steam → Arma 3 → Properties → General → Set Launch Options...
- Try switching to and playing on the profiling game branch. After downloading new data verify the integrity of the game cache.
• profiling branch (special performance + profiling build - requires access code: CautionSpecialProfilingAndTestingBranchArma3), alternative download of needed binary possible from Dwarden's dropbox
If the crash persists after trying all of the above possible solutions then use the Arma 3 Launcher to prepare a troubleshooting report and then upload the report to the feedback tracker for the developers to review.
For issues regarding Arma 3 you can file a troubleshooting report, also via an action available in the option menu in the upper right corner (gear icon)
Be sure to upload the whole report file. If the report file will not upload directly to the feedback tracker then try uploading to a free file sharing service such as Dropbox, Microsoft OneDrive, Google Drive, Mega.nz, and so forth, and then link to the report file.
This has not occurred on singleplayer, even when trying to force it by stressing the game with detonation of nuclear weapons in highly populated areas. I also have not tried tried an official server so I'll have to look into that.
I'm going to piggyback off of what @reschke said and assume this is related to client and server interaction, I know other players on the server I'm on often suffer the same issue simultaneously with me, and like he said, this only began to occur after the 1.66 update.
I'll see if verifying the game helps.
About the profiling build, will using that build allow me to still join the servers I get on currently?