dedicated server memory leak
New, NormalPublic

Tags
Subscribers
Assigned To
None
Authored By
DLEGION, Wed, Aug 9

Description

dedicated server memory usage keeps increasing slowly and endlessly at a variable rate apparently influenced by number of AI present in mission.
on 32bit "arma3server.exe" when over 2000MB it start to choke, decreasing down to 2 FPS,
and ultimately crashing with htis error: https://ibb.co/k30HBa
tried also on "arma3server_x64" and same result. asked a friend to test this, and he got same results.
server with no AI seems to not increase memory usage. seems related to AI presence.

Details

Severity
Crash
Resolution
Open
Reproducibility
Always
Operating System
Windows 7
Operating System Version
ultimate edition
Category
Dedicated Server
Steps To Reproduce

open eden editor, start a fresh mission in Altis, put 3 playable characters, put 10 rifle squads (8 men each) of same side, put 4 tank platoons of same side (4 tanks each), give all them a move waypoint and a cycle waypoint.
save the map, load it into dedicated server, start the dedicated server with that mission. Be sure that mission is running (AI moving around).
from windows task manager, monitor the slowly increasing RAM usage....almost constantly and slowly (i noticed little peaks) it will increase endlessly.
my spec: i5 4440, 3.10ghz, 12GB ram, geforce 660

Additional Information

here is all things i did to try isolate the problem:

3D EDEN CREATED TEST MISSION from NEW (empty):
"standard test": Altis, 10 WEST rifle quads (8 men each) 4 WEST combined tank platoon (4 tanks each), 3 playable units,
all with a move waypoint and a cycle waypoint. (can double the numbers to accelerate the process).

WHAT I DID EXACTLY STEP BY STEP TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM:
launch TADST v3.0.0, leave default settings (for testing purposes) checked box "persistent battlefield" and "auto-init",
selected "arma3server.exe" and tried also with "arma3server_x64.exe". (different starting memory usage, but both were increasing).
selected previously created TEST mission. Launched the server. Opened the windows task manager.
keeps monitoring the "arma3server.exe" process memory usage. Notice slow, but pretty constant increase in memory usage.

WHAT OTHER TEST I DID:
i tested my mission with all my scripts (and they are many) except the ones spawning AI. in my mission all AI is spawned by script, so there were 0 AI.
server did not had increasing memory usage.
i tested an old mission version (more than 6 months ago), that i'm sure it was running fine for at least 24 hours
(i remember playing on it with friends one night, then forgetting server up, then the following evening playing again on it with friends).
the test now showed a memory usage increasing.
i tested other missions made in the past, i dont have any documented previous check on them about memory usage, but now its increasing at various rate,
apparently related to numbers of AI.

MY HARDWARE / SOFTWARE / CONFIG ecc...
i5 4440 3.10ghz, 12Gb ram, 64bit, NO-SSD, connection: ADSL 7Mb upload 0.4Mb download.
(its the same configuration i had at the time of the 24 hours server running with no problem)
i always used 32bit "arma3server.exe" except for the very latest test.

  • T E S T S -----------------------------------------

XENO DWAR 02/04/2017 = 1800 MB seems stable
DWAR 20/07/2017 NO SCRIPTS = 848 MB seems stable
DWAR 20/07/2017 with R3F_LOG & MAG_REPACK = 849 MB seems stable
DWAR 20/07/2017 + minedetector = 849 MB seems stable
DWAR 20/07/2017 + Dfps = 849 MB seems stable
DWAR 20/07/2017 + Dclean & mineMarker = 850 MB seems stable // another test : 888.260 at 12:58 -- 895.288 at 13:11 -- 897.788 at 13:58 -- 897.884 at 14:06 -- 897.760 at 14:14 -- 897.836 at 14:25

DWAR 20/07/2017 + GMOhostages = 875 MB slowly increased to 912 in 15 minutes (spawned 9 units + 1 tank)....when deleted (by script after 30 minutes) memory stays at 910Mb
DWAR 20/07/2017 + HQBtroops+HQRtroops = 928 MB increasing 3MB every 1 minute (spawned 4 APC with crew)
DWAR 20/07/2017 + GMOreset = 1000 MB increasing 1Mb every 10 seconds (spawned 51 soldiers + 1 tank + 1 helicopter)
DWAR 20/07/2017 + Dvehspawner.sqf = 1110 MB constantly increasing 1 Mb every 1-3 seconds (spawned 2 helicopters, 2 airplanes, 8 civs on foot, 8 civs in cars, 2 apc, 2 soldiers, 2 boats)

TEST MISSION WITH FEW AI PLACED FROM EDITOR (48 AI + 16 tanks):
908 MB at 08:16
919 MB at 08:50
921 MB at 09:00
924 MB at 09:36


DLEGION DWAR mission (MORE UNITS AND THEY RESPAWN):
1080 MB at 12:03 (in game time)
1250 MB at 12:13
---2----------
1100 MB at 12:03
1256 MB at 12:13
1264 MB at 12:15
1490 MB at 13:12
1536 MB at 13:26
1611 MB at 13:41
-------3-----------
1240 MB at 00:24
1501 MB at 00:58
1546 MB at 01:03
1621 MB at 01:24
1662 MB at 01:35
-------4------------
1150 MB at 00:33
1208 MB at 00:38
1283 MB at 00:47
1349 MB at 01:00
... 6 hours later (or less), server crashed with "out of memory" error


AN OLD XENO DOMINATION mission (FEW AI COMPARED TO THE OTHERS, BUT STILL PRESENT):
1684 MB at 09:54
1759 MB at 10:03
1786 MB at 10.13
1800 MB at 10.40
1853 MB at 14:45

--------------64 BIT-----------------
DWAR
3248 000 at 14:54
3579 000 at 14.57
3934 000 at 15:18
4175 000 at 15:50
4499 000 at 17:45
4577 000 at 18:02
4613 000 at 18:10
4864 000 at 20:20
4996 000 at 21:25
5000 000 at 21:26

DLEGION created this task.Wed, Aug 9, 10:34 PM

asked a friend to reproduce this on his PC and connection, same problem for him.

Add Comment