Page MenuHomeFeedback Tracker

zeds automatically "anticipate" all open entries to buildings.
New, WishlistPublic


zeds shouldn't be able to "instinctively" know where the next best entry to a building might be. it should beat and throb on closed doors or windows.

It's quite odd when you close the door in front of a zed and it - without hesitation - runs around the building to enter via a backdoor... it should at least try to search for another entry not automatically know and sprint to the next best entry.


Legacy ID
Operating System
Windows 7
Feature Request
Steps To Reproduce
  • aggro zed
  • enter building with at least two open entries
  • close door in front of zed
  • watch and wait how it instinctively runs around the building to enter via door #2.
Additional Information
  • it should beat and throb on closed doors or windows, when you close it directly in front of it.
  • it should at least try to search for another entry not automatically know and sprint to the next best entry. (go into "investigation mode" or maybe a separate "investigate object"-mode)
  • same category (but here zeds act too dumb): zeds going around instead of trying to run through/fall over fences when in "aggro" mode

Event Timeline

joe_mcentire edited Additional Information. (Show Details)
joe_mcentire set Category to category:aibehavior.
joe_mcentire set Reproducibility to Always.
joe_mcentire set Severity to None.
joe_mcentire set Resolution to Open.
joe_mcentire set Legacy ID to 3052792348.May 8 2016, 10:23 PM
joe_mcentire added a subscriber: joe_mcentire.

copy-paste from CarefulBeef:

The problem is more that they always know the open/closed state of every door. It is knowledge above and beyond what a non-infected human has. The instant that an out of sight door is opened on the otherside of the building, they make a perfect bee line for that door. The instant that door closes, they stop.
The AI in this respect is really rather unconvincing, but we all know that is is an early implementation so it's not unexpected, and I am pretty much certain that the devs know this and will work on it. As we have seen in Wobo's recent video, the zombies have a few different states, IIRC: passive, searching, alert and aggro. The searching is actually very nicely done, they wander towards sounds, and line of sight is important.
The changes that could be made to make the AI seem much more convincing when dealing with buildings and doors, could be to have the aggro state be transferred to the door once a player locks a zombie outside. The zombie will then beat on the door for a slightly varied amount of time (if you play project Zomboid, I hope you would agree that this is a really nice feature!).
At this point the zombie would enter another state, like an aggro'd seach. When in this state the zombie starts looking for other entrances, the motion could be somewhat more random and interupted than the current sprinting bee line to the next door, but given enough time should eventually find another entrance. After a certain amount of time without line of sight on any player, the zombies become passive again and start wandering.
All of these states could be probability based, and adjusted based on the horder behaviour (they did say horde AI was coming). e.g. 90% chance of a single zombie following the above AI states, but a second zombie might have a 75% chance of beating on the door or reaching through windows (I wish!) and 25% chance of immediately going into the search phase. Each additional zombie being more likely to enter a search phase when it arrives at the building with other zombies already beating on the door etc..

Will there be slight adjustments in the zed ai? will we hear some new infos regarding zeds?

joe_mcentire updated the task description. (Show Details)Jan 13 2018, 9:07 PM
joe_mcentire changed Severity from None to Feature.
joe_mcentire edited Steps To Reproduce. (Show Details)
joe_mcentire edited Additional Information. (Show Details)
joe_mcentire set Operating System to Windows 7.
joe_mcentire changed Category from category:aibehavior to Feature Request.