When a player fires a turret from inside the vehicle and kills/damages another unit, the object responsible for the kill can be:
- firer (when the firer is the only person in the vehicle)
- vehicle sometimes (when the firer is the only person in the vehicle for some classes e.g. Hunter HMG variant but not for Ghosthawk)
- effectiveCommander of the vehicle (when there is an effectiveCommander in the vehicle)
This adversely affects two aspects of MP gameplay:
- scoring i.e. who gets the kill
- finding the responsible party (killer or damager) via Killed and HandleDamage event handlers
This makes it hard to reward or punish (team-killers) when they are using vehicles to shoot others.
Many of the existing approaches to this problem are network-intensive i.e. publicVariable and setVariable with public broadcast parameter set to true.